Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cow Shit & Honeysuckle

In reflecting on my favorite memories from this time of year, two incidents in particular come to mind, both of which pertain to my childhood. As a child, I was a raised on a farm where my dad brought up cows to sell at the local stock market—and by this, I mean a livestock market, not the one on Wall Street. It was on a farm one raunchy spring day that my dad and I were walking out to the truck, and there is a bull…mounted on a heifer in the pasture. My dad simply points to it and says “Son, that’s love.” That was all of “the talk” I ever received from him. And, surprisingly, it really was enough.

The second favorite spring-time memory also pertains to cows and their unwholesome activities. It is this time of year that the honeysuckle starts really exerting its fragrance in the wild. The drive up to our house from the road always smelled of honeysuckle, and cow shit, and it was an oddly enjoyable combination to smell. I always associated with it home.

I suppose here I will leave you, excepting the final statement that sharks are indeed magnificent creatures, and never have I been so grateful to have met one as in the incidence which Tyler describes below.

No comments:

Post a Comment